Monday, September 6, 2010

How Survivor started

Who knew sitting in a rocking chair in the middle of the day could change your life?

I remember this day like it was yesterday. It was Spring 2000. I was sitting in my glider rocker feeding my baby his bottle. I had the television on and was flipping through the channels, hoping to find something interesting to watch. A commercial came on that caught my attention immediately. It was for a show called "Survivor". No actors would be on this show, just real, everyday people. They would be on a remote island with no food, they would be responsible for building their own shelter, and they would be surviving each other.

I was intrigued. I decided right then and there that I would be tuning in to see what this show was all about.

On the evening of May 31, 2000, I turned CBS on and watched this new show. Needless to say, I was fascinated. I had never seen anything like it before. Besides being thrown out in the middle of nowhere with a group of complete strangers, these people also had to compete in challenges, and at the end of every episode the losing tribe had to vote one of their own out.

By the end of the first episode I knew I had to watch the next one. I couldn't wait to find out who would be voted out next! And I did watch. I watched faithfully every week. I remember thinking how neat it was to have this "summer treat" to watch because at the time I thought that was all it was, a show that was just a special thing they were airing for the summer. Little did I know it would still be around ten years later!

I loved that first season, but I almost didn't tune in to the next one. I didn't think it would quite be the same. Well, it wasn't and yet it was. And by the third season I was hooked and still am. Survivor has brought us so many people to love, to hate, and to love to hate. And it is quite an honor to be part of the Survivor fan family. I have made so many wonderful friends online who share this same interest with me and can understand my excitement about it. I have no doubt these people will be friends for life, all because of a TV show.

And now we are coming upon yet another new season of the show, starting September 15th. I am very excited for it. There will be a whole new batch of people "surviving the elements and each other." I will be blogging each week about the episodes and giving my opinions on them. You won't want to miss that!

4 comments:

  1. You are such a good writer, you need to finish your book and get it published.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember that summer very well! After the first episode, I went straight to my sociology professor colleague and told her she just had to watch it and use Survivor! as a study. Now my discipline, history comes into play, but thank goodness, current events too! Just 8 days to go!
    Julie, Thanks for your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are good words Julie. I guess all fans have their individual stories, but then they are all the same as yours. If I remember correctly, in Australia there was very little advertising and I just happened to see the show one night. I loved Borneo and loved the next two even more.
    I love your writing Julie, I look forward to reading your weekly blogs and of course I would not wanna miss that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did a great job Julie and should seriously consider doing this for a living. Having been a fan of the show for a long time also I enjoy remembering back to when it all started. You rock Julie and did an amazing job!!!

    ReplyDelete